The Dresher Ensemble Artist Residency Program
The Dresher Ensemble Artist Residencies [D.E.A.R.] was established in 2012 to support Northern California artists who are actively exploring new aesthetic premises and pushing the boundaries of conventional art forms and media. The program provides early to mid-career artists with affordable workspaces and up-to-date equipment to create new work in the time-based arts. Each resident receives up to 4 consecutive weeks of uninterrupted access to our well-equipped rehearsal studio in West Oakland, near the Eastern anchor of the Bay Bridge.
D.E.A.R. grants 4 to 6 awards annually to individual artists or to groups of artists collaborating on a single project. The lead artist must be a resident of Northern California.
Each residency provides:
- Full-time access of 1 to 4 weeks in the Ensemble’s rehearsal studio (45′ X 45′) and fabrication shop
- Access to state of the art sound, lighting, projection, and recording equipment
- Technical, financial, and managerial assistance from professionals on the Ensemble’s staff.
- Selected residents will receive a modest stipend to support a private, workshop performances in the studio.
- Experimenting with new creative concepts, approaches, or methods
- Researching or developing new technology for performance, including inventing and constructing new musical instruments
- Preparing the premiere of an existing work
- Creating a new work in music, theater, dance, media art and interdisciplinary performance.
- Ensemble facilities may not be used as housing.
- Public performances in the studio are not permitted.
- The artistic potential and value of the project
- The residency’s likely impact on the work and career of the artist/s
- How likely the artistic project will be realized
- Whether the proposed project suits the Ensemble’s physical space and technical equipment
- How responsibily the artist/s will use the rehearsal studio and equipment.
- Present and past DEAR recipients and their projects
- 2016 DEAR Recipients Press Release (PDF)
- Technical specifications for the Ensemble Studio
- The 2017 application deadline will be in mid-winter. Details and application materials will be available 1/15/17.